Mountain bike skills camps for youth and juniors in Bend, Oregon!
Each of our summer mountain bike skills camps is a progression that follows a theme for the week. For riders coming from Cog Kids or Elementary Club, we recommend 1 or 2 camps each summer. Because each day builds on previous lessons we make sure to manage their energy and pick appropriate locations and lessons for the group to ensure everyone makes progress, stays safe and haves fun.
All camps are based at our office at LOGE CAMPS Bend. Based on the conditions and goals, coaches can choose to ride the skills trails at LOGE, access the trails from here, take a shuttle up to ride back, or take a van to ride in a different area. Most camps average 10 riders to ensure effective coaching and individual attention within smaller groups.
Multiday camps help riders improve rapidly
Riders who truly have no experience riding off road are generally not recommended to attend our camps. Rather than doing consecutive days like these summer camps, absolute beginners benefit more from one-day clinics or multi-week after school programs.
Try one of our Intro Clinics or talk to us if you’re not sure.
Beginner & Intermediate
BEGINNERS are riders who have limited experience riding mountain bikes and want to learn & ride more. Beginners typically prefer easier terrain with fewer obstacles and more frequent breaks. Riders are in the “acquisition phase” so most experiences are new.
INTERMEDIATE riders have more experience riding on varied terrain, are ready to apply skills to learn maneuvers, and look forward to riding more miles or increasing their pace.
“ADVANCED” is a term we reserve for the skill or maneuver rather than for youth riders themselves. Experienced riders may try more advanced skills.
Age & Ability
Riding with peers is the most important factor when coaches create groups — so we recommend parents select our camps primarily by age.
Next, you can consider their previous partcipation or ability — most riders would prefer to repeat a level and feel like they’re in the right group rather than move up too quickly and feel like they don’t have the relevent skills or strength to participate.
- Ages 5 – 7 ride 16 – 24″ wheels
- Age 7 – 11 either 24″ or 26″
- Age 11+ get the largest wheelsize that works for your height and style
Mandatory for Participation:
Availability updated on June 14, 2023.
* Cog Kids Options – IMPORTANT
Cog Kids is for ages 5 – 7 who can pedal on trails and are mentally, emotionally and physically ready to handle a 3-hour session with their peers and coaches for consecutive days. We take lots of breaks, keep riding to shorter bursts, and manage their energy carefully to ensure they have fun each day.
- Must be 5 – 7 years old by the start of the camp; no 4 year olds allowed, please.
- Bike must have two handbrakes and multiple gears as we are on singletrack trails.
2023 Offerings Explained
These are consecutive multi-day offerings, while our multi-week programs are listed on the Cog Kids page.
July 5 – 7: COG KIDS 3-DAY CAMP:
- This camp runs Wednesday, Thursday, Friday to avoids the July 4th holiday on Monday. Specially built for younger riders to have a successful skills progression over 3 days, best for riders who have done one of our after school sessions and are ready to ride 5+ miles. Not recommended for new riders who have zero trail riding experience, see the 2-day clincs below or after school groups.
- $175: specially priced for three 3-hour rides — Wed, Thurs, Fri, 8:15 – 11:30 am each day.
- TO ENROLL: choose Wednesday, July 5th as the start date and note that the system will puts a fourth day in your cart because this is a “package of four days” — just ignore the Saturday selection.
August 21 & 22, 23 & 24: COG KIDS 2-DAY CAMPS:
- We’re trying a new format to help get more beginner riders age 5 – 7 some fundamentals and more time on the trail.
- Recommended entry point for new riders who have limited trail riding experience. Must be age 5 by start date.
- $130: two 3-hour rides each day, 8:15 – 11:30 am.
- TO ENROLL: Choose 1. Mon & Tues or 2. Wed & Thurs, not both.
* Advanced Skills Camp Requirements
This camp is for CJC riders from Elementary Club, Youth ALL MTN or Cascadia Club who want to improve their advanced skills by applying them to more challenging maneuvers and technical trail features. We will work on jumping, drops, faster corners and finding flow. Rides will include classroom time, skills sessions, timed sections and longer rides.
- For experienced riders, 11+ years old by the start of the camp who have a solid riding foundation
- Full suspension bike with dropper post highly recommended (talk to us about rental / demo options)
- Great way for riders to build skills for gravity / enduro / xc events
Most camps are staffed by two or three of our amazing coaches. Many of our staff are certified by PMBIA to teach modern skills progressions.
Katie loves riding with the different groups each week to teach the various skills needed for young riders to progress quickly and have fun.
John has been helping young riders in Bend for many years and he is great at helping beginner or younger riders fall in love with cycling.